Wednesday, April 20, 2005

DEEP INTO EDITS AND BELATED NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION

I'm somewhat distracted from emails and messageboards and other electronic ephemera by the edits I'm currently working on for Shriek: An Afterword. My editor at Tor, Liz Gorinsky, has done a superb job of being sympathetic to the text while not letting me get away with stuff. It's wonderful because the comments help me to see the novel in a fresh light. It'll be a much stronger novel as a result of her work on it. This is the first time I've been edited, really, in that the indie presses I've worked with haven't had an in-house editor per se, so I've been my own editor. And when Pan Mac and Bantam took City and Veniss, the text was pretty much set. Shriek, being a wilder, more expansive, and deliberately less tightly structured novel really needs the edit, and I'm really beyond happy to have the opportunity to work on the book with Liz.

In other news, I just realized what my New Year's Resolution was. I found it where I had written it in tiny letters on a back of a Chinese fortune from Jan. 2: "If a certain talented technophiliac British fiction writer who should know better tries to make some kind of generalization about British SF based in part on the Hugo Awards, you will not enter into the discussion. You will not waste hours debating it. In fact, Jeff, you will not engage in any such discussions of *any* kind in 2005, about *anything*. Because, if you do, you won't get all your fiction writing projects done."

Jeff


Evil Monkey: "Is it just that you'd rather try to create a well-turned sentence?" Jeff: "I think it's because I'm almost 37 and I'm sick of wasting time." Evil Monkey: "Was this blog entry a waste of time?" Jeff: "No. All that's on TV is some dumb-ass reality show about a girl who wants to look like Jennifer Aniston." Evil Monkey: "Really? What channel?" Jeff: "Oh, go look it up yourself, monkey."

6 Comments:

At 10:50 AM, Blogger pauljessup said...

First cockroaches nesting in people's ears, and now Jennifer Aniston. You've just covered two of my greatest fears.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Nemonymous said...

Humanity's riches stem, at least in part, from humanity's fallibility.
Oxymorons and paradoxes abound: moods change: targets adjust. The Internet has become a sort of 'Lubrication House' for humanity thus to to move and have its being. Nothing and everything is/are a waste of time.
des

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul:

We aim to please here at Aniston Cockroach Central...

Jeff

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger pauljessup said...

EEP! /me runs and hides....

weirdmonger-
I agree. But even before the internet, I think that was the case. If "outsider art", "pop art", "trash art" and etc teaches us anything, it's that the high and the base measures of human quality meet on an equal plane.

In other words- we can defend anything as art. We just need the time and inclanation to do so. We can also define and defend anything as being "trash" or a waste of time. We just need the time and inclanation to propose and back up the arguements.

EGAD! I'm rambling again. Most flee before the evil Aniston Cockroach beast attempts to eat me.

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you people real???

Who talks like that? Most people can't understand one sentence, nevermind the whole concept, of your postings.

It's tough being sooo intelligent, ehhh????

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger chenlili said...

2016-4-25 xiaobao
jordan shoes
nike roshe flyknit
mont blanc
louis vuitton
hollister outlet
air max 90
michael kors
burberry outlet
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
nike sb
juicy couture
michael kors purses
louis vuitton outlet
adidas superstar
cheap jordan shoes
nike sb shoes
louis vuitton handbags
jordan 8s
coach outlet
marc jacobs
polo ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet
cartier watches
coach factory outlet
coach outlet
nfl jerseys wholesale
coach outlet store online
supra shoes
michael kors handbags
coach outlet online
pandora jewelry
coach outlet store online
coach outlet online
kate spade
jordan 3
ray ban outlet
celine handbags
fitflops
replica watches for sale

 

Post a Comment

<< Home