Tuesday, February 28, 2006

CITY OF SAINTS BANTAM EDITION--FUN STUFF AND MORE!



CULT CLASSIC FINALLY OUT FROM MAJOR US PUBLISHER

Today the Bantam trade paperback edition of City of Saints & Madmen appears in bookstores all over the U.S. and Canada. This 700-page edition features the wonderful cover created by James Hollywell at Pan Macmillan and the definitive text. It features great illustrations and art, some of which are shown below.

Excerpts and banner ads will be appearing on many websites, including Locus Online. Reviews should start appearing in newspapers, etc., in mid-March. Thanks to everyone at Bantam for their great support for this title.


NEW PAGE OF FUN STUFF, PRESS KIT, BANNER ADS

Juha Lindroos has revamped my website to coincide with the release and Mark Roberts and I, with input from Bantam, have created the definitive City of Saints fun page for readers, and the definitive press kit. You can also download the banner ads and use them on your own websites. I hope some of you will. Here are the links.

My website
Click on the moon for a City of Saints-related sound experience…Click on a spire to get to Ambergris…Click on my, er, head, and you get some cute photos of me, my wife, koala bears, and drinking absinthe out of half a human skull…

City of Saints Fun Stuff
Everything from screensavers and a quiz to the trailer for the book and downloadable mp3s from the soundtrack.

City of Saints Press Kit
A ton of free-use articles and links to other information about City of Saints, excerpts, the Bantam press release, and print/web versions of the cover, among other things.


Art from City of Saints, by Mark Roberts

HOW YOU CAN HELP

If you’ve got the book already but want to help out in some way, downloading a banner ad and running it on your blog or website is a huge help. Here’s the link.

If a banner ad isn’t your thing, if you’ve already run a review or mention of City, pulling it out of your archives and running it again would be a huge help as well!

Posting an Amazon.com review would be great, under the listing for the Bantam edition.


Art from City of Saints, by John Coulthart (with inset by Scott Eagle)

APPEARANCES IN MARCH FOR CITY OF SAINTS

I’ll be in Austin in support of the book at the Associated Writers Programs conference on a panel with Kelly Link, Brian Evenson, Matt Cheney, Laird Hunt, and the editors of ParaSpheres, and doing a reading at BookPeople with them, Gavin Grant, and Michael Moorcock (!!). March 9-12.

Then I’ll be in Ft. Lauderdale for the Conference on Literature of the Fantastic, doing two panels, a reading, the "Rough Guide to Ambergris" multimedia presentation, and just generally being rather present.

(Evil Monkey: "You're one busy son of a bitch." Jeff: "Yeah, but it's exciting! And there's a cool review of Shriek at Bookmunch now." Evil Monkey: "Who's your editor at Bantam, by the way?" Jeff: "The wonderful Juliet Ulman." Evil Monkey: "She's one smart monkey." Jeff: "She's smart, but she's no monkey." Evil Monkey: "That was a compliment, you jerk.")

UPDATE: Yup, there it is on the new trade paperback table, right next to Goldie...Ann went and took some photos! I don't know when you ever lose the thrill of seeing a new book in print in the bookstore. I'll never take that for granted.

10 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the Bantam edition. Looks good. Also looks like there are a hell of a lot more pages in it than the shorter Cosmos edition I bought a couple years ago. So thanks for making me buy this edition too. I balanced it out by winning a copy of Shriek from Jay at FantasyBookSpot. But I know you'll get me back by adding more material to the next edition of Shriek so that I'll have to get that too. It never ends with you, does it?

-Noosh

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger JeffV said...

LOL!

Hey--it's something to do with City of Saints. Honest.

No other books are affected. There will be only one version of Shriek, promise!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to see a copy in a bookstore. It looks good. I just wonder if anything is has changed for this edition (new glossary entries, revised font notes, updates to the bio).

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger JeffV said...

Tobias--I sure hope it never gets old! I think it would be really sad to get contributor copies in the mail and go, "Oh, that."

Robert--It's the same as the Pan Macmillan edition, with a few changes made to synch it to Shriek. And the correction of a few typos and, er, author mistakes.

JeffV

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been telling my (bookstore) coworkers about this one for months now. We kept having inventory mistakes where it looked like the book had arrived and I would hunt for it to no avail. Finally this morning (day off yesterday) I got to take a copy in hand and tell them all to read it.

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Justin Steiner said...

I'm looking forward to finally reading it after all these years. I'll be going Friday to see if the local establishment has copies or if I'll have to order it.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger JeffV said...

Hi! I think City of Saints is probably the best starting point. My novel in August, Shriek, continues the story of some of the characters in City.

Thanks for the interest!

JeffV

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Justin Steiner said...

Just to update: the local B&N didn't have any copies but I put it on order and should have in my hands by the end of next week. Looking forward to it...

 
At 8:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah--I've heard that it's nicely featured in B&N superstores but not in its normal stores. Whereas it's in all the Borders as far as I can tell.

JeffV

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

It's the same as the Pan Macmillan edition, with a few changes made to synch it to Shriek. And the correction of a few typos and, er, author mistakes.

I have the Pan Macmillan but have yet to read it (I'm sorry!). I've been curious about the changes in the Bantam myself, but the one thing that I was trying to look for when I saw a copy was where the "cover story" from the hardcover was in the TPB.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home