Wednesday, September 15, 2004

ABSINTHE: Retreading Ground Trod by the Decadents Over a Century Ago...

Yes, this is me at WorldCon, drinking absinthe from a human skull, both provided by a reader named Cliff. (Who also gave me a kick-ass compilation CD.) I had assumed I could drink the absinthe out of a paper cup, but was told I had to use the human skull...The absinthe tasted like liquid fiery liquorice. I enjoyed it. A bit like a strong liquor, only with more of a harsh bite to it...You can see that I enjoyed it more than my tongue, which is attempting to escape my body and run for it. The photo was taken by A.E. Roberts at the Polyphony party (although this low-res version is entirely my fault). You will have to ask Wheatland Press's Deborah Layne about rumors that the party was much wilder than even this photo suggests...

Jeff

6 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Tessa said...

That's not the real VanderMeer, it has a chin!

(Did he say where/how he managed to get a human skull? And absinthe? Or is absinthe legal in the US?)

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Hal Duncan said...

Ah, now. I understand bona fide absinthe is still illegal in the US due to the wormwood in it carrying thujone which, for some reason, those pesky FDA people don't approve of. Something to do with neurotoxicity, convulsive fits and nonsense like that. Never mind, though. It's legal in the UK, and La Fee Verte (best brand, trust me) is freely available. Can't promise the human skull, but I'll have a stock of the Green Fairy in for sure, WorldCon next year. Louched with ice-cold water drizzled into the glass over a sugar cube, it's really quite palatable.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hal--I'll take you up on that. I wasn't in a situation where I could try more than a little bit, because I had a business meeting coming up.

I'd like to try a little more when I don't have stuff to do after...

Jeff

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hal--This was genuine absinthe, smuggled in.

Jeff

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Hal Duncan said...

Nice.

I'll have to see if I can persuade the rest of the GSFWC mob to get a room party organised. Then it'll be absinthe till the crows come home (over a swirly cornfield, that is, as we all sit there nursing the bandages where our ears used to be).

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know where to buy absinthe? I want to try it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home