Sunday, March 27, 2005

Greetings from Chester

Greetings from the first of Jeff’s guest bloggers. I thought I’d start by introducing myself...

I’m a Welsh woman living in Chester which is a small city established by the Romans on the Welsh border. Since there is a law which states that any Welshman caught within the walls after midnight can be shot with an arrow I have to be careful. There is a small amphitheatre, the local Spud-U-Like has a glass panel in the floor through which you can see a Roman hypocaust, and a friend of mine dug a hole in her garden recently and found skulls and a very rare sort of ancient glass. Apart from that nothing much tends to happen here. Last week the headline in the local newspaper was ‘Child gets hand stuck in plastic bucket’ with the interesting follow-up story that exactly the same thing had happened to her aunt twenty years earlier, which had also made the front page. On each occasion the fire brigade were able to come swiftly to the rescue since, presumably, they were not already occupied. Nothing much changes - but we have got broadband. Which has changed my life - not always in a good way.

My cohabiters are a husband to whom I am connected via lap-top and two sons who are erm 20 and 15, I think. Obviously we have had to buy a hub. I’m not very good with ages or names and frequently get them muddled up, which is an hereditary failing.

I spend my entire life writing, reading and researching except sometimes I get a sudden weird surge of guilt and adrenaline and skulk at the back of an aerobics class or spinning session. I do that, enjoy it and think I must do that again, maybe tomorrow, or the next day...

My research at the moment involves shamanism so I am working my way through Mircea Eliade’s SHAMANISM - ARCHAIC TECHNIQUES OF ECSTASY (as recommended by my incredibly well-informed ex-colleague and esteemed writer Alan Wall) which is fascinating and has enough fantasy to keep me going for some time. To complement this I spent last weekend flat on my back ‘journeying’ with the aid of aboriginal drumming and a couple of lovely Shamanic guides In London. More on that in my next blog.

Clare.

8 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Blogger Nemonymous said...

Thanks for the information on Chester, Clare.
My wife and I are taking my elderly parents in July to Chester for a week's holiday (they will be then celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary!)
Good luck in blogging for Jeff!
des

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger pauljessup said...

I’ve always been very fascinated with shaman magic and practices. The novel I’m working on now borrows some shaman-trappings for the magic that is used by the main character. The whole concept of Shaman magic (as well as any non-western, Greco-roman influenced occult magic) seems far more based around storytelling and dancing. It seems to ask to invite in the spirits, and let you absorb them as part of yourself.

It also seems to be more artistic, and less rigid and personal. A celebration of the forces of the universe, rather than a rigid mathematical discipline held in secret.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger banzai cat said...

Outstanding. :-) I picked up your book on the recommendation of JeffVan, especially after it showed up on these far foreign shores. I haven't read it yet but the intro was more than enough for me.

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to see you here, Clare. It is an ambition of mine to visit Chester before I die. Looking forward to reading more!

 
At 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome clare! may your spirit guide shuttle you safely through your stint on this bog with nary a comment troll or flame war to impede your progress. looking forward to your contribution... when the meerkat's away and such.

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome clare! may your spirit guide shuttle you safely through your stint on this bog with nary a comment troll or flame war to impede your progress. looking forward to your contribution... when the meerkat's away and such.

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Norilana said...

Welcome to Jeff's blog, Clare! Your initial post is quite fascinating.

:-)

Vera

 
At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just figured out how to post a comment...

weirdmonger: just ordered your book - how can I resist with a title like that? When in Chester go for a walk round the walls, you see just about everything.

paul m jessup: good luck with the novel, sounds very interesting - what has struck me as I've researched shamanism is how everything I learn seems somehow familiar, as if part of some collective subconscious, and just 'journeying' for hours on end I found quite liberating.

Thanks Banzai cat. Jeff has been my numero uno promoter. I'm very grateful.

Tamar: your book sounds terrific ...best of luck with it - it is next on my list.

Jmorrison: Ha, excellent - I was very glad I didn't encounter meerkats on my little journey. They look quite innocuous in the zoo though, don't they?

Thanks Inspired, that's very kind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home