Tuesday, October 18, 2005

AUSSIE AFTERMATH

It's been an interesting week. Apparently, the jetlag back is worse than the jetlag there, because we had almost no jetlag when we got to Australia. However, several strange phenomenon since, and a few observations.

(1) From 5:30pm to 7:30pm, we cannot keep our eyes open to save our lives. Which is a real pain driving home. Several times last week, I felt like I needed to pull over because I couldn't stay awake. Just barely made it home.

(2) Sunday, I sat down at 6:30pm to watch football...and next thing I knew it was 7:30 in the morning. I slept for 13 hours straight and I had the most vivid wonderful and horrible dreams the whole time, the kind where you don’t know it’s a dream while it’s happening. I spent half of it in the circus and half of it in New Orleans during the hurricane. Oy. Ann hadn't the heart to wake me, so she'd just pulled me by the legs so I was lying on the couch instead of sitting on it. So, for me, there was this delicious moment of dislocation, one second sitting up watching football, next second lying down looking at the ceiling.

(3) We are really active and alert, most nights, around 3:30am to about 4:30am. Nocturnal!! Like tree possums!

(4) We get home and sit on the couch and say, "What do you want to do tonight?" Ann says, "Let's go to a movie." Blink. Two hours later we wake up and go, "Um, I guess we're not going to a movie tonight...."

(5) Ginger cordial doesn't taste nearly as good when you're not drinking it in in Grace Dugan's apartment, with a nice cross-breeze going... :(

(6) Tim Tam's are good no matter where the hell you are, and everybody we know loves the ones we brought back.

(7) We're going to dine out on Australia stories for months!

Jeff

5 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha -- well thats what you get for watching football -- nasty stuff. And didn't any of us Aussies tell you where possums actually come from? They're what American tourists turn into if they overstay their visits... there's one in my roof above my head right now chewing through the insulation. His name used to be Hank Parsons jr & he was from Cleveland until the fateful day he missed his connecting flight and got imprisoned in my roof...

Cheers, Cat

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

If it is any consolation, I get much worse jet lag going back to the UK than going to California.

Tim Tams are good everywhere except places where there are no Tim Tams...

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

Janet and I are having the exact same experiences, having just come back from Singapore. We've been waking up around 5:30 a.m., and utterly exhausted around 3 p.m. Last time I went to Singapore, two years ago, it took two full weeks before my body clock could realign itself properly.

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cat--you crack me up. I just about died laughing from that.

Thanks for the sympathy, folks. Rajan--it is very disorienting. Never experienced anything quite like it.

JeffV

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Tessa said...

I have tim tams. Hur hur hur.

I took four packets with me when I went over a couple of years ago, in an endeavour to show Americans how 'orrible what they call 'chocolate biscuits' were.

Unfortunately, they all melted. Considerably.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home