Friday, November 11, 2005

SHRIEK: AN AFTERWORD SHORT FILM WITH MUSIC BY THE CHURCH



I'm pleased to officially announce that I'm embarking on a new project, to be released over the summer: a short film (five to seven minutes) based on part of my new novel, Shriek: An Afterword. The film will be based on the internet on the Shriek site (www.shriekthenovel.com; the site will go live in January, with the film coming later) but also be featured nationally through various prominent online venues (more on that later).

Jonathan Edwards, who created the cover photography used for both the Pan Macmillan and TOR (US) versions of the novel, will put the film together from my script. Jonathan also did the cover designs for Leviathan 4 and Album Zutique. He will also be designing the Shriek web site.



I'm also pleased to be able to announce that one of my favorite bands, The Church, has agreed to do an original soundtrack for the film. Over the past 25 years, The Church have had countless hits--in their native Australia, Europe, and, of course, in the United States with "Under the Milky Way," among others. More importantly, the quality of their output has been stellar over their entire career. Since I wrote most of Shriek while listening to tracks from The Church's entire catalogue, I'm really thrilled they've committed to this project.

I don't have particulars yet on the form the film will take, but it will probably be a combination of still photography, animation, etc. There are several cool things Jonathan and I want to try out. There will also be a voice-over, although I'm still firming up who will do it. My hope is that the film will be first and foremost a self-contained work of art, and only secondly a tie-in to my novel.

This will be my first venture into film of any kind and I hope to use it as a launching pad to do longer indie film projects.

As I have more details, I'll make them known.

Jeff