Tuesday, March 21, 2006

NOT VERY

If I'm going to point out the good, then I also gotta point out the bad. It's simply not fair otherwise. Now I've got something for the "Not Very" reviews column on the forthcoming Shriek website.

Jeff

(Evil Monkey: "Aren't ya crushed?" Jeff: "No. She just didn't like the book very much." Evil Monkey: "I'd be crushed." Jeff: "You should see the scars I've got from the reviews of Why Should I Cut Your Throat? Nothing phases me now." Evil Monkey: "Good point." Jeff: "This is going to be a very long campaign and some reviewers are going to hate this book. Period. There's nothing to be done about it but move on, really." Evil Monkey: "Hey--is this guy as pompous as he sounds." Jeff: "How pompous does he sound?" Evil Monkey: "100 percent." Jeff: "Then in person you either magnify that effect by 50% or you decrease it by 50%.")

4 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn those unreliable narrators! Damn you, Janice!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Jason Erik Lundberg said...

Wow. Sounds like she wanted another City of Saints and was disappointed when Shriek wasn't it.

 
At 3:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ouch!

But... I'm still going to read it because I like your work :)

-a fan

 
At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, it's one negative review balanced against about, so far, 10 extremely positive reviews. I didn't share the review because I agreed with it--I respect the reviewer's right to her opinion but believe she's dead wrong (especially tone-deaf to the humor, intentional and unintentional, in Janice's voice). That should be implicit in anything I say about Shriek.

The thing is--this is *not* City of Saints. And the emphasis is on Janice and her brother, and only then the other Ambergris stuff.

That's all I gotta say about it.

JV

 

Post a Comment

<< Home