INITIAL THOUGHTS ON AUSTIN
Having just gotten back from a sweat-soaked, three-city plane ride back to Tallahassee from Austin, Texas, I have only a few initial observations, which will be followed by a longer posting tomorrow.
- BookPeople and Half-Price Books are fucking AWESOME.
- Reading with Mike Moorcock, Brian Evenson, Matt Cheney, Kelly Link, and Gavin Grant is fucking AWESOME.
- Sixth Street is a bit like Mardi Gras but with better/more diverse music (don't hurt me, Nawlins).
- Them bats? They's smaller than them Australian bats.
- The river walk/hike is freaking AWESOME.
- Austin reminds me of Brisbane, Australia (similar size, cultural hotspot, river running through it, etc.)
- An old friend, Tom Winstead and his wife Marty, took me to the Salt Lick, about 40 minutes outside of Austin. It was, you guessed it, fucking AWESOME. Salt Lick! The best barbecue in Texas! And there's actually now a five story tall Hindu gold-leaf anointed temple with peacocks right over the hill from the place. So just imagine that juxtaposition.
-Sitting up all night talking with Matt Cheney is the bomb.
More tomorrow, gentle folk.