Friday, February 04, 2005

TROLL by Johanna Sinisalo

I'm something of a latecomer to this dark, disturbing, and yet often delightful novel by one of Finland's foremost fantasists. It was first published in England under a different title, then in the United States early in 2004.

Mikael ("Angel") rescues a young troll from being beaten up by youths outside of his apartment. He takes the troll into his apartment and nurses it back to health. What results is unexpected, odd, and yet completely appropriate. The novel's point of view bounces back and forth between Angel and his various contacts, romantic and otherwise. It's difficult at first to differentiate between the different first person narrators, but once you settle into it, the effect of an ongoing dialogue between the voices is nicely done. In addition, Sinisalo intersperses the main narratives with articles, book excerpts, and other documentation about trolls. We learn that in the world of this novel trolls were discovered to be real in 1907. The most fanciful (in the best sense of the word) parts of Troll revolve around these snippets of information. Sinisalo skillfully doctors real entries to include trolls along with more "normal" predators, and creates some out of wholecloth. And, if at first these sections seem ancillary, their relevance becomes more and more obvious as the novel progresses.

I also like that Angel is gay and that the book doesn't mince words when describing his liaisons. In fact, these liaisons are key to the novel because Angel only hides the troll for as long as he does, and is able to care for it, by taking advantage of how many men want to get into his pants.

The troll itself is evocative, utterly alien and yet familiar--as good a portrayal of a wild creature as I can remember reading.

And, then, just when you think you might have some idea of where the book is going, it zags where it might have zigged, and thus manages to preserve the originality of what went before. When I started Troll, I thought I might enjoy it--it seemed like it might be lightweight but fun. By the end, I was experiencing something more complex than enjoyment: a mixture of being disturbed, electrified, and saddened.

I've now read two books by Finnish writers in the last month: Troll, and Leena Krohn's Tainaron. They couldn't be any more different, but they're both very original, and it makes me want to seek out more work from Finnish writers.

Thanks to Toni Jermann for telling me about the novel. If not for the prior publication in England in 2003, it would have made my year's best list for 2004.

(Helpful Monkey: "About your year's best list. Kelly Shaw mentioned Peter Straub's 2004 novel. Did you read it and not like it." Jeff: "Crap! It was on my list to read and I totally forgot--it's on Ann's pile of books to read for the International Horror Guild Award. Which explains why I forgot. It wasn't on the right pile. Oh well. Have to read it and blog about it." Helpful Monkey: "Yes, I guess you will, won't you...")


At 1:26 PM, Blogger Justin said...

Sounds very interesting. I may have to add it to my list of things to try and read this year.

At 7:58 PM, Blogger uiyui said...

Today is the gold für wow second day of 2009 ,world of warcraft gold it also a mesos special for me .cheap wow gold Because i have cheap maplestory mesos a chance to go to an english speech of LiYang and crazy to learn english follow him . He is a firendly,kindly person who make me feel gold kaufen What‘s more ,maple story mesos he very confidence .And he make me sure what he can do i also can do,as long as i make a determination and force myself to do it every second,Crazy just like him .wow geld I learn one setence from his book ever :maple story items If you want to succeed always force yourself to do more .I can't agree more with him .wow gold farmen To be honest ,when i was a littel girl i already fall in love with english.But what a pity i am poor in english ,Maple Story Account and it make me feel frustrating .So i want to give up many times ,but i can't as i still love it .So i tell mysefl :if you think you can you can wow leveling,and all your maple story power leveling hard work will pay power leveling Today i am very happy i can listien this wonderful speech of LiYang. I reap a great benifits from him .maple story money As he say :i am the best ,and every one can do it . world of warcraft power leveling Yes,i belive i can do it if i crazy as he buy archlord gold.Now i want to say :i will never give up.

At 7:07 PM, Blogger game gold said...

At one time or another, I do not have the Atlantica online Gold ; at the first time, I am not willing to buy Atlantica Gold . But I do not wonder I buy the Atlantica online money , my friend thinks that I am ill. But when I have it, it carries the magic from such a group, such a link in the world, cheap Atlantica online Gold , it is the key bring you to this world. But buy Atlantica online Gold is the best desire that I make.

Without thinking I buy some dofus kamas . I use some kamas and want to find a good group. We often buy cheap kamas together on Monday. As if it is a rule. I think it is the real friendship. buy dofus kamas is already become the essential thing in my life. So I will introduce my friends have the dofus gold , we can be consist of a group, it must be very interesting.

At 6:03 PM, Blogger cheng said...

Do you want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more angels gold. Do you want to have a try? Come on and angels online gold can make you happy. You can change a lot buy angels gold for play games. And you can use the cheap angels online gold do what you want to do in the online game.
Do you want to know the magic of online games, and here you can get more Rose zuly. Do you want to have a try? Come on and rose zulie can make you happy. You can change a lot rose online zuly for play games. Playing online games can make much rose online zulie. And you can Arua ROSE zuly do what you want to do in the online game.

At 6:07 PM, Blogger mei said...

they are like me and tell me anything about them wakfu kamas, I know wakfu gold. one of my friend likes to go to play buy wakfu kamas, I can not stand praising the land and the nature wakfu money , It makes us to be wakfu kama.
I am so happy to get some aion kina from my friends. They know I need aion online kina, they give me. So I always can get some aion gold from my friends. I buy aion kina with my spare money. It makes me happy that I can still earn some cheap aion kina.

At 7:57 PM, Blogger 陈凯燕 said...

Do you know cabal online alz? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy cabal alz and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these cabal gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cabal money and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy cabal alz was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.
Do you know dofus kamas? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy kamas and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these cheap kamas with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many dofus gold and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy dofus kamas was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

At 10:00 PM, Blogger 筱娅 said...

Have you heared about a game which you need use Anarchy credits to play, and you can also borrow Anarchy Online credits from other players? But you can buy AO credits, or you will lose the choice if you do not have Anarchy online gold. If you get Anarchy gold, you can continue this game.
Have you heared about a game which you need use Atlantica online Gold to play, and you can also borrow Atlantica Gold from other players? But you can buy Atlantica online Gold, or you will lose the choice if you do not have cheap Atlantica online Gold. If you get Atlantica online money, you can continue this game.

At 2:20 AM, Blogger feilin said...

I like holic gold very much. Since I entered into this game, I learnt skills to earn holic money. Thanks to holic online gold let me know a lot of friends. It is my habit to buy holic online money, and I get some cheap holic gold from my friends and Internet.
I like to play last chaos, because I like its name, also I like last chaos gold. My friend told me that she would buy lastchaos gold for me, and I was so happy. I do not like to go shopping, because it always spends a lot of money, but I never hesitate to buy last chaos gold. You can buy cheap lastchaos gold; it is so easy and convenient. I believe the future of lastchaos money is bright.

At 9:09 PM, Blogger jimmychooshoes said...

mcqueen shoes
alexander mcqueen heels
Alexander McQueen Store
Jimmy Choo sale
Replica jimmy choo shoes
manolo blahnik online store
manolo shoes
manolo blahnik sale
replica christian louboutin shoes
discount christian louboutin shoes
alexander mcqueen shoes
jimmy choo outlet
jimmy choos
jimmy shoes
Manolo Blahnik Shoes
christian shoes
Jimmy Choo China strappy sandals
Jimmy Choo Patent leather sandals
Christian Louboutin - Declic leather pumps
Christian Louboutin Very Jaws 140 pumps
Alexander McQueen black skull zipper bootie

At 8:08 AM, Blogger John Pinem said...

Hi webmaster, commenters and everybody else !!! The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lots of great information and inspiration, both of which we all need!b Keep 'em coming... you all do such a great job at such Concepts... can't tell you how much I, for one appreciate all you do! Replica Watches

At 1:27 AM, Blogger Nikola said...

I cant even remember when i hold a book last time(( NOw i'm more into
cheap car insurance. You should try it

At 8:40 PM, Blogger Friday said...

The christian louboutin store was designed for the ladies. Since the louboutin heelswas born, the ladies life become colorful.The elegant pattern, the delicate style all mold the ladies perfect leg profile. The christian louboutin evening pumps are the god's masterwork. Who invited the christian louboutin pumps? Seldom people knew, but I think every lady would be grateful for him. Among the countless pumps, the christian louboutin peep toe is the most outstanding ones. Flowers in the spring of 2011 creeping, up from hair to clothes continue to footwear, have had a brilliant up. In such a glamor, spring and summer flowers now here. Romance is a woman's mood, exquisite flowers just right of expression in our gestures, the woman, how can we not love the romantic temperament so that they distributed the flowers do? 2011 flowers bloom will enjoy different poses! The Christian Louboutin 2011 Sandals also can adds the hright of the ladies, it bring surprise to the short lady. Especially the red sole of the louboutin heels, magic and sexy, many ladies are crazy. The red sole, the first feature of the Christian Louboutin heels.

At 8:41 AM, Blogger jhon said...

nice post love it
Womens Leather Pants for sale
Women Leather jackets

At 12:59 AM, Blogger love supra said...

They are all beautiful and fashionable i have to say, and my friends told me they are of good quality as well. I have not see post good enough like yours here.
More tags:
wow gold | cheap wow gold | buy cheap wow gold | buy wow gold

At 7:03 PM, Blogger GAME ONLINE said...

whoah this blog is fantastic i love reading your articles.You can learn more: China tour packages | China travel packages | China Travel Agency

At 2:42 AM, Blogger love thomass said...

AllMandarin is the only company that can give you an excellent alternative to learn Mandarin Chinese that is not only better, but also more efficient in terms of cost, flexibility and learning methods.I am a Chinese teacher,you can learn more about Free Chinese language info: Learn mandarin online | Learn mandarin Chinese | Mandarin Teacher

At 10:49 PM, Blogger Learn Chinese language on hanbridgemandarin said...

The best place to learn mandarin Chinese is in China. However, we understand that it isn't always possible to move here to study Chinese language. The next best thing is to study with our experienced teachers in a virtual classroom. Online students enjoy the same excellent way of mandarin Chinese online lessons and custom designed courseware that we provide for our face to face clients.

At 8:12 AM, Blogger jaring futsal dan rumput futsal said...

Thanks for sharing nice information with us
jaring futsal | jaring golf | jaring pengaman proyek |
jaring pengaman bangunan | jaring pengaman gedung


Post a Comment

<< Home