Friday, October 20, 2006

BATTLESTAR...

...is the best show on television. The editing is extraordinary. And they just keep pushing the envelope. In normal TV shows half of this stuff would resolve itself as sacharine crapola. But they just keep going.

Some people have objected to the suicide bomber element, but the genius of it is that it *doesn't* fit an existing paradigm exactly. Instead of regurgitating the headlines, they've internalized it for what works for the show.

And this episode tonight was ballsy beyond belief. There's just no other way to say it.

I'll leave it to others to analyze the show. For me, it works so well on a visceral level that I just don't give a shit about the nits.

Jeff

7 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right. Now we just need to hope this NBC / Moore conflict over pay for the Webisodes (NBC says non-pay adverts, Moore claims they warrant pay) doesn't escalate into something that spills over into the main show.

 
At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to that.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Horia Nicola Ursu said...

I am going to watch yesterday's episode tonight.
BSG rocks! That's a fact. Compared to it, every single science fiction tv series or movie I've seen seems stale and full of cliché. Here, everything that might appear as cliché turns out, in the end, to resolve in unexpected ways, bursting out of the cliché box.
And I'm eager to see where will the show go next?

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Al said...

I think I used the John Stewartism "Ballsalicious" after the season opening. I tried explaining to my wife how a show could have suicide bombers on it in America on the side of the supposed good guys!. The fact that they didn't cheese out with it, dwell in it or simply take it in obvious directions was refreshing.

I'm not sure what to make of last night's episode. I thought it was excellent but not as much so as season opening, for example.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Jayme Lynn Blaschke said...

I thought the episode brilliant, until the Pegasus entered the picture. After that, it was merely good--but nothing we haven't seen a dozen times with other desperate space battles. So much original thinking up to that point, and then to go with such an obvious cliche was disappointing.

Still one of my fave episodes of the series, but I can't help but think it could've been more.

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Horia Nicola Ursu said...

Yeah, but the situation was so desperate that if Pegasus wouldn't have come, this would have been the last episode :)

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Henry said...

For Halloween, why not...

Make your own Cylon jack-o-lantern

 

Post a Comment

<< Home