Friday, May 05, 2006

A WEDDING AND A WALKER

Sean Wallace, who runs Prime Books, is getting married to his girlfriend of six months, Jennifer Allen. As they say, mazel tov!



Meanwhile, the ever resourceful Neddal Ayad has let me know that Scott Walker, the guy who, among other things, put out the amazing CD Tilt, has a new one coming out. Tilt is one of my all-time favorite CDs. It is insane, oddly majestic and operatic, and just generally eccentric and unclassifiable.



The CD is reviewed here, with samples at the end. Walker's also doing interviews with the Independent and the Guardian.

Jeff

(Evil Monkey: "What?! No breakdown of your day? C'mon. Everyone wants to know. What did you do today?" Jeff: "Er, it was boring. No one would care. It would make me a little sick in my stomach to even have to type it. Why put into words what isn't worth words?" Evil Monkey: "Naw--c'mon. It'll be cathartic." Jeff: "I don't think so. Why not tell them what you did today instead?" Evil Monkey: "But all I did was get in a firefight with Colombian drug lords, cut the head off that multiple head-growin' fiend Michael Crichton, and save a puppy from certain death." Jeff: "Yeah, that does sound boring.")

2 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff:

I don't know if you know of this cd, but if you're inclined towards the majestic and operatic, I recommend AFI's 'Sing the Sorrow'. The first time I heard it on an instore cd player, I could almost see the wine-red curtains being drawn and the lights being dimmed. Excellent. The band used to play formulaic punk rock, but nowadays they're said to have become more goth-rockish. To me though, the main draw is that they ooze (an albeit fledgling) literariness. Especially on 'StS'.

Just thought I'd offer that up, seeing as your recommendation of Spoon's 'Gimme Fiction' was so on the mark. What a great band and album.

-sara

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Sara! I'll check that out!
Jeff

 

Post a Comment

<< Home